Friday, January 26, 2007

OutLook Express Error No 0x800C0131

I was using outlook express for more than 10 years. Currently I encountered a problem showing the error number 0x800C0131 when I try to send email using my SMTP.
U
nknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP Port: 0 Secure: No [SSL] Error: 0x800c0131

I searched and found that the usual cause of this error is a missing or damaged folders.dbx file. Either that or it is using a read only attribute. To fix this problem I did the following steps.

  • Click Start
  • then Find
  • then click Files or Folders.
  • In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
  • In the Look In box, click your main hard disk (this is usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
  • Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
  • Type folders.old, and click OK.
  • Start Outlook Express again. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.

This one solved my problem. Mainly this one occurs in the Windows 98 OS.

6 comments:

borisz said...

Same problems as yours, I did tried your Outlook Tip and believe or not it helped. Thanks for help.

Terry said...

My Outlook Express has not been able to send or receive e-mails for weeks now. I've been doing all of my correspondence through my e-mail account at work. I thought that I was going to have to call a tech to my home to take a look at my computer.

Someone suggested that I Google the error message and try to find a way to fix the problem myself. I did, and I found your post. I did exactly what you suggested and to my amazement, it worked! I can now send and receive e-mail from that account again. Thank you so much!

I guess I should have saved any of the old e-mails I wanted to keep before going through those steps, but unfortunately, I didn't. So here's my next question: Is there any way to retrieve them from the "folders.old" folder? I'd really like some of them back if at all possible. Thanks. :-)

zwr said...

You know there is a very nice application Advanced Outlook Express Repair. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook dbx files.

Alexis said...

On the whole for work with contact,outlook and outlook express files there is-outlook express 6 repair address book,application has free status as far as I can see,it keeps all contacts, business or personal, contacts may include email Address, mailing Address, phone and full name,start repairing Address Book in Outlook Express,moves to the previewing of repaired contact entries,recommend previewing all entries, that were restored during repair Outlook Express Address Book file to avoid misunderstanding,repairing Address Book in Outlook Express.

Bob Luis said...

Have you heard about a popular Outlook Express Repair Software to repairs & recovers corrupted or damaged Outlook Express .mbx
& .dbx files & safely restores folders, emails, addresses, attachments and other outlook express objects.

Unknown said...

By using this utility, one can easily repair corrupt PST file and save then in new PST file within few clicks. For more information about Outlook problem and solution visit:- http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/outlook-pst-repair-tool.html