Thursday, April 3, 2008

win16 subsystem may be unstable

We bought Acer Veriton PC with Window XP Professional pre-intalled in it. I tried to install an application named ACCPAC verion 5.1 which i used for our account. When I double click the setup.exe file nothing happens. As usual I pressed CTL+ALT+DEL and tried to view the tasks. I noticed two exe running named setup.exe and wowexec.exe. When I tried to end task the Wowexec.exe I got the error message saying
"The request to end the selected 16 bit task has timed out. The Win 16 Subsystem may be unstable. Press OK to terminate the Win 16 Subsystem or Cancel to leave it running."
No choice I clicked OK and searched for a solution in Google, MSN and yahoo. None of them worked. So finally I tried trial and error basis and finally got worked.
The solution is:
In ACER there is an application called Lanscope Agent is the culprit which gave this big problem. When you open the task you can see LockKM.exe. End task that task and now you can intall the win16 application. The path for that application is C:\Acer\LANScope Agent\LockKM.exe.
I hope the above solution helps abit for you all.

2 comments:

Easy Monet said...

I had the same problem, could not install 16 bit applications. This solution worked for me, thanks.

Jen said...

I was having the same problem, and this worked, thanks! I have to stop this process every time I want to install a 16 bit app... Just wondering, would it make sense to uninstall the Acer LANScope Agent?